Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
The Rose Ensemble
The Rose Ensemble: Elizabethan Christmas
Airs Thursday, December 26 at 1 p.m. Grand candlelit halls, lavish feasts, and stately dances. Escape to the regal elegance of the Elizabethan era. The time and culture of Elizabeth I also contained tension and intrigue; dark and light. And it’s all evident in the music of their Christmas celebrations.
The Rose Ensemble’s captures all of that in their popular holiday concert, as they reawaken the ancient with An Elizabethan Christmas. Add it to your holiday lineup, and treat your listeners to medieval carols, and motets and anthems by the beloved English Renaissance composers, Robert Parsons, William Byrd and Orlando Gibbons, accompanied by lute and viola da gamba. In a couple of pieces, The Rose Ensemble is joined by special guests Voces8, the vibrant young a capella group from London, for a glorious soaring sound. In this one-hour special, you’ll hear stratospheric soprano lines, surprising harmonies, spirited poetry, and tender carols. And a brand new setting of a Tudor-era carol text by acclaimed composer Abbie Betinis.