Most Active Stories
- Wiley College in Marshall lands National Science Foundation grant
- Health Matters: Medical Controversies and Health Fads
- FaithWorks seeks to get Shreveport-Bossier churches to collaborate
- Shreveport children's author resolves persistent query in 'Billy's Booger'
- KDAQ Web Stream is Back and KLDN is Back On Air!!
Of Monsters And Men On World Cafe
Originally published on Wed June 20, 2012 9:58 am
Of Monsters and Men is an Icelandic sextet specializing in catchy folk-pop. The group came together in 2009 when singer Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir began recruiting backups for her acoustic solo act. In 2010, Of Monsters and Men gained national fame when it won an annual Icelandic battle of the bands; since then, the buzz has only grown. Incorporating melodica, glockenspiel, accordion and brass into cheery pop, Of Monsters and Men has coasted to international recognition on the strength of the bright and upbeat single "Little Talks." A charming full-length album, My Head Is an Animal, followed.
Dreamy, simple, minimalist folk serves as the foundation for My Head Is an Animal: It's simple and effective, allowing the focus to remain on the entrancing vocal harmonies. With communal chemistry akin to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and a folk-pop sensibility like that of Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters and Men looks likely to stick around for a while.
This segment originally aired on April 20, 2012.