Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Many, La., engineer partners with University of Texas El Paso on desalination technology
- Modest ridership projections in passenger rail study connecting Shreveport and Vicksburg
- LA Opera: Verdi's La Traviata
- Red River Radio Spotlight: Shreveport Little Theater Presents Chicago
Alexandria to host big dog show
Thousands of show dogs are headed to Alexandria later this month for a week-long competition. The fourth annual Mardi Gras Cluster Dog Show is set for Jan. 23-29 at the Alexandria Riverfront Center. The dog show will include three new breeds recently approved by the American Kennel Club -- the Chinook, rat terrier, and Portuguese Podengo Pequeno.
Organizers tell the Town-Talk of Alexandria that more than 3,000 dogs representing 189 breeds will compete. This is one of the last major shows prior to the famed Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York. Some of the dogs at this show will also compete at Westminster.
Mardi Gras Cluster is sponsored by the Baton Rouge Kennel Club and the Alexandria Kennel Club. Judging will begin daily at 8 a.m.