Most Active Stories
- Shreveport fencing documentary cuts across bigger life lessons
- Northwestern State musicians perform 'Earthrise' with its British composer in the wings
- Metropolitan Opera: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana & Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci
- Elio Motors is in an 'engineering-centric' phase, says founder
- Caravan: Airheart Live in the Red River Radio studios
Newport Jazz Festival
The Newport Jazz Festival, The First American Jazz Festival, was founded in 1954, and has been host to numerous legendary performances by iconic historic figures and contemporary geniuses. Historic moments since its inception include performance by Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane and Miles Davis. Referred to as a Mecca of jazz, the event draws thousands of people from all over the world to Newport, Rhode Island, a city which is famed in its spectacular coastal scenery and awe-inspiring architecture.