Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
WATCH: Giant Undulating Anchovy School
It's the biggest aggregation of anchovies seen in near-shore waters in three decades, according to scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego.
We're a bit late picking up on this (the school was first noticed at Scripps Pier at La Jolla on Monday and the video was shot on Tuesday), but member station KPBS spotted it in a more timely fashion.
At about 0:40 into the footage, the anchovies school in an interesting way, apparently to avoid a predator. Later in the video, a small shark is seen in their midst.