Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Activists petition Louisiana environmental regulators to be transparent about M6 disposal method
- Metropolitan Opera: Puccini's La Bohème
- History Matters: O.Winston Link's photographs documented steam locomotion and Louisiana life
- Red River Radio Spotlight: The Shreveport Symphony with cellist John-Henry Crawford
WATCH: Giant Undulating Anchovy School
It's the biggest aggregation of anchovies seen in near-shore waters in three decades, according to scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego.
We're a bit late picking up on this (the school was first noticed at Scripps Pier at La Jolla on Monday and the video was shot on Tuesday), but member station KPBS spotted it in a more timely fashion.
At about 0:40 into the footage, the anchovies school in an interesting way, apparently to avoid a predator. Later in the video, a small shark is seen in their midst.