Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Around the Nation
Virginia To Repeal 'Living In Sin' Law
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep. Never mind gay marriage - Virginia is wrestling with the notion of two people living together. It's illegal to be an unmarried couple in the same home. Since the 1870s the state has banned lewd and lascivious cohabitation - a phrase that itself sounds lewd if you say it slowly enough. Now a state senate committee has approved a measure to repeal the old law. Supporters say it's been a long time since anybody enforced the ban on living in sin. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.