Most Active Stories
- Wiley College in Marshall lands National Science Foundation grant
- Health Matters: Medical Controversies and Health Fads
- FaithWorks seeks to get Shreveport-Bossier churches to collaborate
- Shreveport children's author resolves persistent query in 'Billy's Booger'
- KDAQ Web Stream is Back and KLDN is Back On Air!!
Cultural, Community, Information
Violins of Hope
Airs Thursday, April 19 at 11:00 a.m. Violins of Hope tells the story of a project begun in 1996 by master violinmaker Amnon Weinstein. He began to collect and restore violins with extraordinary stories dating back to one of the greatest tragedies in history. Some of the violins he restored were played by Jewish prisoners in Nazi concentration camps. Others belonged to Klezmer musical culture, which was all but destroyed by the Holocaust. The stories of these violins and their rebirth bear witness to the power of memory and music to transform anguish into hope. This documentary with music features interviews with violin maker Amnon Weinstein; Artistic Director for the project David Russell, Anne R. Belk Distinguished Professor of Music at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte; and acclaimed violinist Shlomo Mintz.