Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Steve Cropper And Booker T. Jones On World Cafe
Originally published on Mon January 14, 2013 4:50 pm
As part of World Cafe's "Sense of Place" series on Memphis, Tenn., we've dug up archival interviews with two legendary Stax Records performers: guitarist Steve Cropper and organist Booker T. Jones, both of Booker T. & The M.G.'s.
Our conversation with Cropper took place in 2005 and touches on the mom-and-pop atmosphere of Stax Records, the recording of Otis Redding's "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" and the story behind the "Green Onions" riff.
In 2009, we spoke with Jones about the creative environment at Stax, his musical education and his career after leaving the M.G.'s.