Most Active Stories
- 'You're In My House': Obama Shuts Down Heckler At White House
- Louisiana business lobby leader criticizes new state budget
- Savannah Music Festival: Paco de Lucía - Part One (encore)
- Northwestern State hosts 'mythical 51st state,' Boys and Girls State underway
- Health Matters: Raising Happy & Psychologically Healthy Children
Steve Cropper And Booker T. Jones On World Cafe
Originally published on Mon January 14, 2013 4:50 pm
As part of World Cafe's "Sense of Place" series on Memphis, Tenn., we've dug up archival interviews with two legendary Stax Records performers: guitarist Steve Cropper and organist Booker T. Jones, both of Booker T. & The M.G.'s.
Our conversation with Cropper took place in 2005 and touches on the mom-and-pop atmosphere of Stax Records, the recording of Otis Redding's "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" and the story behind the "Green Onions" riff.
In 2009, we spoke with Jones about the creative environment at Stax, his musical education and his career after leaving the M.G.'s.