Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Savannah Music Festival
Savannah Music Festival: Piano Showdown 2012 Part 1
Airs Thursday, August 22 8 p.m. ** Special Note: Cedar Walton passed away this week. This is one of his final performances at the Savannah Music Festival. Part two will air next Thursday night at 8 p.m. **
Even though you can't pack it in your hand luggage as you might a guitar, fiddle or flute, the piano opens up the entire world of music because it can translate the full range of harmony of orchestral and choral scores. There is no substitute for the visceral quality of a Steinway in full flow, with its ability to move instantly from the highly percussive to the warmly lyrical. Every year or two we produce an original concert entitled "Piano Showdown", which brings together four pianists who have spent most of their careers playing jazz. This two part program was recorded at the 2012 Savannah Music Festival and features pianists Cedar Walton, Kenny Barron, Aaron Diehl and Kevin Bales.