Most Active Stories
- Wiley College in Marshall lands National Science Foundation grant
- Health Matters: Medical Controversies and Health Fads
- FaithWorks seeks to get Shreveport-Bossier churches to collaborate
- Shreveport children's author resolves persistent query in 'Billy's Booger'
- KDAQ Web Stream is Back and KLDN is Back On Air!!
Savannah Music Festival
Savannah Music Festival: Dick Hyman Plays Fats Waller
Airs Thursday, December 12 at 8:00 p.m. Born in New York City in 1904, Fats Waller played the organ and sang in the choir of the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, where his father was the minister. By the time he was a teenager, the lure of playing in the theatre and accompanying silent films transformed his passion for playing music. Over the next ten years he emerged as one of the finest stride pianists while developing his skills as an arranger and composer, making him one of the most popular performers of his era. In this episode, we listen to a 2010 SMF performance of Fats Waller's music by pianist/scholar Dick Hyman.