Most Active Stories
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Rumsfeld Calls Paul Krugman's Sept. 11 Column 'Repugnant'
"After reading Krugman's repugnant piece on 9/11, I cancelled my subscription to the New York Times this AM."
That's the reaction on Twitter today from former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to "The Years of Shame" blog post published Sunday by New York Times columnist and Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman.
In his post, Krugman argues that:
-- After the Sept. 11 attacks, "heroes like Bernie Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, and, yes, George W. Bush raced to cash in on the horror. And then the attack was used to justify an unrelated war."
-- "Professional pundits ... took the easy way out, turning a blind eye to the corruption and lending their support to the hijacking of the atrocity."
-- "The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame. And in its heart, the nation knows it."
Krugman ended his post by saying "I'm not going to allow comments ... for obvious reasons."