Most Active Stories
- Pittsburg, Texas, announces business plan competition to spur growth
- Benteler Steel/Tube ramps up hiring, hosts job fair
- El Dorado school district opens medical clinic at middle school
- Nutrition on Wheels truck to bring cooking demos to rural Cenla
- 'Smart' irrigation techniques slowly catch on in Louisiana
The Passover Story with the Western Winds
Airs Monday, April 14 at 1 p.m. Renowned actor Theodore Bikel and The Western Wind, America's pre-eminent vocal ensemble, present 25 eclectic selections that, along with an inspiring narration, serve as musical documentary of Passover. Music includes Hebrew folk melodies, classical European liturgical music, ancient Sephardic chants, Klezmer-style improvisations, and traditional songs from the Seder. This program is designed for listeners of any religious background and provides a good introduction to a holiday whose lessons of redemption and faith are universal. "The music is an eclectic compilation of songs and compositions from many sources reflecting the tremendous diversity of Jewish cultures. Selections include Hebrew folk melodies, classical European liturgical music, ancient Sephardic chants, Klezmer-style improvisations, and traditional songs from the Seder, including the 'adopted' song of slavery, the Negro spiritual "Go Down Moses"--all sung with the superb musicianship and zest that are hallmarks of Western Wind performances."