Most Active Stories
- Project Belize is rich training ground for East Texas nursing students
- Entomologists release wasps in Shongaloo and Minden to prey on invasive beetle killing ash trees
- TLC's popular genealogy show fills out actress's family history using LSU Shreveport archives
- The Newport Folk Festival 2015 Live stream
- Health Matters: Violence and violent tendencies
NYPD Could 'Take Down A Plane' If Necessary, Commissioner Says
Originally published on Mon September 26, 2011 6:49 am
One exchange in particular between CBS News' Scott Pelley and New York Police Department Commissioner Ray Kelly on Sunday's edition of 60 Minutes is getting lots of attention today.
The subject was the possibility of another terrorist attack aimed at the city and the efforts by Kelly's department to prevent such a thing from happening. Here's an excerpt:
Pelley: "Are you satisfied that you've dealt with threats from aircraft, even light planes, model planes, that kind of thing?"
Kelly: "Well, it's something that's on our radar screen. I mean in an extreme situation, you would have some means to take down a plane."
Pelley: "Do you mean to say that the NYPD has the means to take down an aircraft?"
Kelly: "Yes, I prefer not to get into the details but obviously this would be in a very extreme situation."
Pelley: "You have the equipment and the training."