Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Around the Nation
NTSB Raises New Concerns About Dreamliner's Lithium Ion Battery
Originally published on Fri May 23, 2014 5:04 pm
The National Transportation Safety Board is calling on the FAA to take another look at the safety of the battery used in its Dreamliners. The recommendations issued by the NTSB on Thursday call on the FAA to evaluate whether additional requirements and independent testing outside the aviation industry are needed on the lithium ion batteries used in the Boeing 787s. Incidents involving the batteries' failure caused the fleet to be grounded last year. The FAA released its own internal study earlier this year concluding that it had an effective process in place to identify and correct problems that emerged before and after certification.