Most Active Stories
- Louisiana's first 'nerd market' planned for Bossier City
- Red River Radio Spotlight: Poet of the Ordinary - Photographs by Keith Carter
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Nacogdoches to roll out pink carpet for Pulpwood Queens
- Activists petition Louisiana environmental regulators to be transparent about M6 disposal method
Nina Simone: To Be Free
Airs Monday, February 24 at 11 p.m. Nina Simone was as powerful and complex a person as the music she played. She called it “Black Classical Music,” and it resists all definitions. Its jazz, rhythm and blues, folk, and gospel. It’s a combination as Rich as the culture. Like any legend, Nina Simone became a symbol for People and movements through the years, but she was first and foremost a performer. She acted out the story of each song as if it happened to her just yesterday. This hour we’ll hear about the music and life of Nina Simone from colleagues and friends including Odetta, Camille Yarbrough, Guitarist Al Schackman, Patti Smith journalist David Nathan and more.
Produced by JOYRIDE MEDIA, creators of acclaimed music documentaries featuring artists like Bob Dylan, Benny Goodman, Johnny Cash, and many others. Hosted by Simone, acclaimed vocalist and daughter of Nina Simone.