Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Louisiana's first 'nerd market' planned for Bossier City
- Activists petition Louisiana environmental regulators to be transparent about M6 disposal method
- Metropolitan Opera: Puccini's La Bohème
- History Matters: O.Winston Link's photographs documented steam locomotion and Louisiana life
Newport Jazz Festival
Newport Jazz Festival: Three Clarinets Live
Airs Tuesday, March 12 at 9 p.m. The name of the band refers to Ken Peplowski, a Swing-era specialist; Evan Christopher, a living historian of the New Orleans Creole clarinet; and Anat Cohen — what doesn't she do? They're not the only ones on stage, of course — they'll be backed by a band which knows the time-honored and broad-shouldered methods of swing. This reedy convocation on the state of the clarinet today was put together for Newport, and — on the birthday anniversary of Louis Armstrong — was filled with ad lib fireworks.
The Band: Ken Peplowski, clarinet Evan Christopher, clarinet Anat Cohen, clarinet Howard Alden, guitar Ehud Asherie, piano Greg Cohen, bass Joey Baron, drums Lewis Nash, drums This concert is made possible by NPR Music and was recorded at the 2012 Newport Jazz Festival.