Most Active Stories
- Project Belize is rich training ground for East Texas nursing students
- Entomologists release wasps in Shongaloo and Minden to prey on invasive beetle killing ash trees
- TLC's popular genealogy show fills out actress's family history using LSU Shreveport archives
- The Newport Folk Festival 2015 Live stream
- Health Matters: Violence and violent tendencies
Newport Jazz Festival
Newport Jazz Festival: Ryan Truesdell's Gil Evans Centennial Project Live
Airs Tuesday, July 2 at 9 p.m. What if there were lost big-band masterpieces by the great composer/arranger Gil Evans which never made it to record? In fact, there are plenty of them, according to composer/arranger Ryan Truesdell. He's culled, researched, transcribed and completed a handful of the best for Evans' 100th birthday anniversary. It helps that he's the lead copyist for composer Maria Schneider; he's borrowed much of her orchestra to record and now perform this rich, intensely-hued material.
"Dancing On A Great Big Rainbow"
"How About You?"
"Look To The Rainbow"
"Ballad Of The Sad Young Men"
Ryan Truesdell, arranger/conductor
Steve Wilson, alto saxophone/woodwinds
Charles Pillow, alto saxophone/woodwinds
Rich Perry, tenor saxophone/woodwinds
Donny McCaslin, tenor saxophone/woodwinds
Scott Robinson, baritone saxophone/woodwinds
Michael Rabinowitz, bassoon
Adam Unsworth, french horn
David Peel, french horn
Tony Kadleck, trumpet
Greg Gisbert, trumpet
Laurie Frink, trumpet
Ryan Keberle, trombone
Marshall Gilkes, trombone
George Flynn, trombone
Marcus Rojas, tuba
Ben Monder, guitar
Frank Kimbrough, piano
Jay Anderson, bass
Michael Truesdell, percussion
Lewis Nash, drums
Dan Weiss, tabla
Dave Eggar, tenor violin
Gretchen Parlato, voice