Most Active Stories
- Shreveport fencing documentary cuts across bigger life lessons
- Northwestern State musicians perform 'Earthrise' with its British composer in the wings
- Metropolitan Opera: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana & Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci
- Elio Motors is in an 'engineering-centric' phase, says founder
- Caravan: Airheart Live in the Red River Radio studios
Newport Jazz Festival
Newport Jazz Festival: John Hollenbeck's Claudia Quintet + 1 Live
Airs Tuesday, April 30 at 9 p.m. A powerhouse behind the drum kit, John Hollenbeck is also becoming one of the great composer-bandleaders of the age. After last year's large ensemble show, he returns to Newport with his unusual small group, the Claudia Quintet (and a sixth member on piano). The band's latest release What Is The Beautiful? sets poems by Kenneth Patchen to music; much like the album, vocalists Kurt Elling and Theo Bleckmann stand and deliver on stage.
"The Snow Is Deep On The Ground"
"Showtime/23rd Street Runs Into Heaven"
"Do Me That Love"
"Opening The Window"
"Just Like Him"
John Hollenbeck: drums
Red Wierenga: accordion
Chris Speed: clarinet/tenor saxophone
Matt Moran: vibraphone
Drew Gress; bass
Matt Mitchell: piano
Kurt Elling: voice
Theo Bleckmann: voice