Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Many, La., engineer partners with University of Texas El Paso on desalination technology
- Modest ridership projections in passenger rail study connecting Shreveport and Vicksburg
- LA Opera: Verdi's La Traviata
- Red River Radio Spotlight: Shreveport Little Theater Presents Chicago
Newport Jazz Festival
Newport Jazz Festival: John Ellis Double Wide live
Airs Tuesday, March 26 at 9 p.m. The tenor saxophonist John Ellis is a commanding instrumentalist with a most gorgeous, carmelized tone. And though he now lives in New York, his band gives away the fact that he learned an awful lot in New Orleans. A chunk of Double-Wide lives there — notably, Matt Perrine (sousaphone) and Jason Marsalis (drums) — and the Crescent City's carnivalesque and high-stepping timbres are refracted through Ellis' tunes. You can take the boy out of the South, but you can't take the South out of his musical vision. Joining him also are Gary Versace on organ and accordion and Alan Ferber on trombone.
Set List:Okra & Tomatoes (Ellis)Zydeco Clowns on the Lam (Ellis)Dewey Dah (Ellis)3-Legged Tango in Jackson Square (Ellis)Dubinland Carnival (Ellis)This Too Shall Pass (Ellis)Break Tune (Ellis) This concert is made possible by NPR Music and was recorded at the 2012 Newport Jazz Festival.