Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Louisiana's first 'nerd market' planned for Bossier City
- Activists petition Louisiana environmental regulators to be transparent about M6 disposal method
- Metropolitan Opera: Puccini's La Bohème
- History Matters: O.Winston Link's photographs documented steam locomotion and Louisiana life
Newport Jazz Festival
Newport Jazz Festival: The Dafnis Prieto Sextet
Airs Tuesday, March 19 at 9 p.m. Like his countryman Pedrito Martinez, drummer Dafnis Prieto came over from Cuba around the turn of the century — promptly placing every rhythm section in New York City on notice. His next-level understanding of the clave, combined with his seeming willingness to try anything that grooves, led to his nomination as a MacArthur Fellow last year. That cast of mind powering a sextet with horns will prove volatile, as it did on his 2008 album Taking The Soul For A Walk. On stage, it's liable to cause bug-eyed amazement if onlookers aren't careful. His band features Peter Apfelbaum on saxophone, Felipe Lamoglia on saxophone, Ralph Alessi on trumpet, Manuel Valera on piano, and Yunior Terry on bass.
Set List: "Just Say It" "The Sooner The Better" "Comandante" "Until The Last Minute" "Two For One" "En Las Ruinas De Su Infancia" "Emergency Call" This concert is made possible by NPR Music and was recorded at the 2012 Newport Jazz Festival.