Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Newport Jazz Festival
Newport Jazz Festival: The Bad Plus With Bill Frisell Live
Airs Tuesday, June 18 at 9 p.m. Here's a pairing that raises the question: "Why hasn't this happened before?" The Bad Plus have been a revisionist cover band and today mostly make original piano trio music. Bill Frisell is the quintessential jazz collaborator. The guitarist, making the second of three appearances at this year's Newport Jazz Festival, is down for anything involving good musicians, and can be counted on to execute it well. Together, they paid tribute to one of their mutual heroes, the late drummer Paul Motian, in a set comprised mostly of his haunting compositions. The band features Ethan Iverson on piano, Reid Anderson on bass, Dave King on drums and Bill Frisell on guitar.
"The Owl Of Cranston" (Paul Motian)
"Mumbo Jumbo" (Motian)
"No Moe" (Sonny Rollins)
"It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago" (Motian)