Most Active Stories
- Shreveport fencing documentary cuts across bigger life lessons
- Northwestern State musicians perform 'Earthrise' with its British composer in the wings
- Metropolitan Opera: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana & Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci
- Elio Motors is in an 'engineering-centric' phase, says founder
- Caravan: Airheart Live in the Red River Radio studios
Natchitoches prepares for 'The Green Agora' venture
A Natchitoches, La.-based businesswoman aims to open a business incubator in the town, which will include a marketplace for fresh produce and cottage industries. Donna Isaacs launched a fundraising campaign this week to renovate a warehouse in Natchitoches. It would be home to what she calls “The Green Agora.”
"It's based on the concept of the Greek public square and the center of the community," Isaacs said. "Not only were ideas and individuals nurtured, but so were businesses."
Isaacs' goal is to raise $495,000 to purchase a warehouse and make basic improvements to it by the end of the year. She said a second fundraising push would generate the remaining $1.5 million to update the warehouse to the highest level of green building standards.
"It will be an energy efficient building that is a state-of-the-art, technology-based arena for small businesses," she said.
Isaacs said a business incubator in Natchitoches has been discussed for a decade. Ultimately, her goal is to have a grand opening in March 2014, during the city’s tri-centennial celebration. Isaacs' online fundraising effort is located on the crowdfunding platform Indiegogo.com. The campaign ends Dec. 14.