Most Active Stories
- Shreveport fencing documentary cuts across bigger life lessons
- Northwestern State musicians perform 'Earthrise' with its British composer in the wings
- Metropolitan Opera: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana & Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci
- Elio Motors is in an 'engineering-centric' phase, says founder
- Caravan: Airheart Live in the Red River Radio studios
Metropolitan Opera: Strauss' Die Fledermaus
Airs Saturday, January 11 at 12 noon. The 2013-14 Metropolitan Opera Radio Broadcast season continues with a live broadcast of Johann Strauss Jr.'s Die Fledermaus. Director Jeremy Sams has written new lyrics for the work, which will be performed entirely in English, and Tony Award-nominated playwright Douglas Carter Beane makes his Met debut with new dialogue. Adam Fischer conducts a cast of rising opera stars and Broadway performers. Susanna Phillips and Christopher Maltman star as the unhappily married Rosalinde and Eisenstein; Jane Archibald is their feisty maid, Adele; Anthony Roth Costanzo is Prince Orlofsky; Michael Fabiano is Rosalinde’s former lover, Alfred; Paulo Szot is the bumbling Dr. Falke; and Patrick Carfizzi is the prison superintendent, Frank. Broadway stars Danny Burstein and Betsy Wolfe make their network debuts as the drunken jailer, Frosch, and Adele’s sister, Ida. Die Fledermaus will be heard live over the Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera International Radio Network.