Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Many, La., engineer partners with University of Texas El Paso on desalination technology
- Modest ridership projections in passenger rail study connecting Shreveport and Vicksburg
- LA Opera: Verdi's La Traviata
- Red River Radio Spotlight: Shreveport Little Theater Presents Chicago
LSU AgCenter economist: Thanksgiving meal to cost more this year
The cost of the traditional Thanksgiving spread is up 13.2 percent in Louisiana. Analysis from the LSU AgCenter found a Thanksgiving meal for 10 people will cost $44.35. Kurt Guidry, LSU AgCenter extension economist, said that’s an increase of $5.16 from last year’s Baton Rouge average.
Guidry said it’s mainly due to the drought in the Midwest, which drove up the cost of feed for turkeys. The USDA projects a 2.5 to 3.5 percent price increase in all at-home food from 2011 to 2012.