Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
LSU AgCenter economist: Thanksgiving meal to cost more this year
The cost of the traditional Thanksgiving spread is up 13.2 percent in Louisiana. Analysis from the LSU AgCenter found a Thanksgiving meal for 10 people will cost $44.35. Kurt Guidry, LSU AgCenter extension economist, said that’s an increase of $5.16 from last year’s Baton Rouge average.
Guidry said it’s mainly due to the drought in the Midwest, which drove up the cost of feed for turkeys. The USDA projects a 2.5 to 3.5 percent price increase in all at-home food from 2011 to 2012.