Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Louisiana's first 'nerd market' planned for Bossier City
- Activists petition Louisiana environmental regulators to be transparent about M6 disposal method
- Metropolitan Opera: Puccini's La Bohème
- History Matters: O.Winston Link's photographs documented steam locomotion and Louisiana life
Latin Roots: Argentine Rock
Today's Latin Roots co-host, Josh Norek, was given a hefty task: Define the broad swath of Argentine rock with just a few bands. But Norek, co-host of The Latin Alternative, is up to the occasion precisely because he spent time in Buenos Aires as a student during a vibrant period for music.
He begins by playing a classic from Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, a band that incorporated ska influences into its early work in the 1980s. That was at a time when rock in Argentina was moving beyond Anglo imitations, incorporating Latin influences and, as Norek suggests, even becoming dangerous. Norek also delves into the indie-rock sound of Babasonicos and Banda de Turistas' Argentine spin on British rock.
Latin Roots is made possible by the Wyncote Foundation.