Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Kurt Weill Part 1
Kurt Weill: American - Part 1
Airs Tuesday, July 2 at 2 p.m. After fleeing Nazi Germany, Kurt Weill came to the United States in 1935. The music he subsequently wrote in this country was important in the development of American musical theater. After Weill's death in 1950, his wife Lotte Lenya devoted herself almost exclusively to his music and established the Kurt Weill Foundation in 1962.
To mark the 85th anniversary of Weill's best-know work, The Threepenny Opera, and the 15th anniversary of the Lotte Lenya Competition for young musical theater singers, Fascinatin' Rhythm host Michael Lasser will be joined by Kurt Weill Scholar and Foundation President Kim Kowalke for a series of three special programs that explore the composer's place in American popular music.
The programs will explore Kurt Weill's American Songs, Kurt Weill and Popular Singers, and Kurt Weill's American Lyricists. Kurt Weill, American is funded in part by the Kurt Weill Foundation for Music, Inc., New York, NY.