Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Louisiana's first 'nerd market' planned for Bossier City
- Activists petition Louisiana environmental regulators to be transparent about M6 disposal method
- Metropolitan Opera: Puccini's La Bohème
- History Matters: O.Winston Link's photographs documented steam locomotion and Louisiana life
Keithville sanctuary prepares for wave of retiring research chimps
The president of Chimp Haven, the national chimpanzee sanctuary in Keithville, La., says federal initiatives are moving ahead to retire large numbers of chimps from biomedical research. Linda Brent says Chimp Haven is in contact with the National Institutes of Health on news that the agency will transfer 10 research chimps to the Keithville sanctuary. She says many more could follow as the NIH send nearly one-fifth of its research chimps into retirement.