Most Active Stories
- Shreveport fencing documentary cuts across bigger life lessons
- Northwestern State musicians perform 'Earthrise' with its British composer in the wings
- Shape of Shreveport documentary series probes city's past, celebrates its people
- Red River Radio Spotlight: American Boys Choir
- Metropolitan Opera: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana & Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci
Jobless Claims Dip, GDP Growth Revised Up Slightly
The nation's economy grew at a slow 1.3 percent annual rate in the second quarter, the Bureau of Economic Analysis just reported. That's a slight upward revision from the agency's previous estimate of 1 percent growth vs. first-quarter 2011.
Also this hour, the Employment and Training Administration reported that 391,000 people filed first-time claims for unemployment insurance last week, a drop of 37,000 from the previous week. At 391,000, claims remained well above the level usually associated with a healthy economy — but were the lowest they'd been since late March and early April.