Most Active Stories
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
France's First Family Welcomes Baby Girl
Originally published on Thu October 20, 2011 3:07 pm
French President Nicolas Sarkozy and his wife, the chanteuse Carla Bruni-Sarkozy welcomed a baby girl yesterday.
France's first family has been very secretive about the pregnancy, so the AFP reports Elysee Palace released few details.
The AFP says government sources did say that Sarkozy was able to see his baby girl in between "talks on the eurozone sovereign debt crisis."
And Sarkozy said both mom and baby are "doing very well."
But here's the interesting part: This is the first presidential birth in France. And, Bloomberg notes that it is "the first birth for a French incumbent head of state since Empress Eugenie had Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte 155 years ago."
Update at 4:05 p.m. ET. Her Name Is Giulia:
On her personal website Carla Bruni-Sarkozy revealed the name of the baby girl:
I am deeply touched by the many messages of congratulations that I have received since the birth of our daughter Giulia.
On this happy occasion, my husband joins me in expressing our warmest thanks to all those of you who sent us these tokens of your kindness.