Most Active Stories
- Project Belize is rich training ground for East Texas nursing students
- Entomologists release wasps in Shongaloo and Minden to prey on invasive beetle killing ash trees
- TLC's popular genealogy show fills out actress's family history using LSU Shreveport archives
- The Newport Folk Festival 2015 Live stream
- Health Matters: Violence and violent tendencies
Family Band On World Cafe
The Brooklyn-based ambient-folk duo Family Band is a collaboration between visual artist turned frontwoman Kim Krans and her husband, former heavy-metal guitarist Jonny Ollsin. Together, they craft beautifully dark, folk-influenced songs, which they fittingly describe as "heavy mellow."
Inspiration for the chilly, haunting music on their second album (Grace & Lies) came from ghostly figures Krans says she saw near the couple's cabin in upstate New York, where they recorded the majority of the record. The pair returns to World Cafe to play songs from Grace & Lies — including their collaboration with Grizzly Bear's Dan Rossen, "Again."