Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Family Band On World Cafe
The Brooklyn-based ambient-folk duo Family Band is a collaboration between visual artist turned frontwoman Kim Krans and her husband, former heavy-metal guitarist Jonny Ollsin. Together, they craft beautifully dark, folk-influenced songs, which they fittingly describe as "heavy mellow."
Inspiration for the chilly, haunting music on their second album (Grace & Lies) came from ghostly figures Krans says she saw near the couple's cabin in upstate New York, where they recorded the majority of the record. The pair returns to World Cafe to play songs from Grace & Lies — including their collaboration with Grizzly Bear's Dan Rossen, "Again."