Most Active Stories
- Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
- Many, La., engineer partners with University of Texas El Paso on desalination technology
- Modest ridership projections in passenger rail study connecting Shreveport and Vicksburg
- LA Opera: Verdi's La Traviata
- Red River Radio Spotlight: Shreveport Little Theater Presents Chicago
East Texas Tilapia revives idle chicken houses
A former chicken farm in Mount Enterprise, Texas, is now harvesting more than 300,000 pounds of tilapia each year. The freshwater, tropical fish is raised in large tanks inside modified chicken houses. Jim Reed, owner of East Texas Tilapia, sells the tilapia at the Nacogdoches farmers' market and to local restaurants. He also trucks live tilapia to supermarkets in Dallas and Austin, and is eyeing an expansion to take over more shuttered chicken houses.