Most Active Stories
- Wiley College in Marshall lands National Science Foundation grant
- Health Matters: Medical Controversies and Health Fads
- FaithWorks seeks to get Shreveport-Bossier churches to collaborate
- Shreveport children's author resolves persistent query in 'Billy's Booger'
- KDAQ Web Stream is Back and KLDN is Back On Air!!
East Texas Tilapia revives idle chicken houses
A former chicken farm in Mount Enterprise, Texas, is now harvesting more than 300,000 pounds of tilapia each year. The freshwater, tropical fish is raised in large tanks inside modified chicken houses. Jim Reed, owner of East Texas Tilapia, sells the tilapia at the Nacogdoches farmers' market and to local restaurants. He also trucks live tilapia to supermarkets in Dallas and Austin, and is eyeing an expansion to take over more shuttered chicken houses.