Most Active Stories
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Around the Nation
Des Moines Welcomes Thousands Of Bacon Fans
Originally published on Mon February 20, 2012 5:56 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Four thousand pork lovers descended on Des Moines over the weekend for annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival. There were treats like bacon butterscotch cupcakes, bacon-infused donut balls and bacon-wrapped jalapenos. There were health groups protesting at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, but one young festivalgoer told the Des Moines register it's cultural. Only in Iowa will people come together to eat a bunch of bacon-covered bacon. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.