Most Active Stories
- Shreveport fencing documentary cuts across bigger life lessons
- Northwestern State musicians perform 'Earthrise' with its British composer in the wings
- Metropolitan Opera: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana & Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci
- Elio Motors is in an 'engineering-centric' phase, says founder
- Caravan: Airheart Live in the Red River Radio studios
Facebook Looking To Open A Sales Office In Beijing
Originally published on Tue May 13, 2014 6:30 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with Facebook liking China.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
MONTAGNE: Bloomberg news reports that Facebook could open a sales office in Beijing from within a year. This, even though it was banned in China five years ago. A new office would service Chinese businesses wanting to advertise internationally.
China is one of the large markets that Facebook has not yet broken into. The same is true for other major U.S. Internet companies, such as eBay, Twitter and Google, all of which have been banned by a Chinese government concerned about social instability and internal dissent. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.