Most Active Stories
- Holiday Specials 2014
- Health study: Arkansas and Louisiana lack defenses against 'superbugs'
- Celebrate 30 Years with an End of the Year Pledge
- Shriners Hospital for Children in Shreveport cites record growth, on firm financial ground
- Shreveport's first contemporary art museum displays nature big and bold
Burn: The Switch
Burn: An Energy Journal – The Switch
Airs Sunday, August 11 at 6 p.m. Our nation’s power grid, the patchwork system that transmits and distributes electricity from plants to consumers, is aging and stretched to capacity—especially in summer months when users face triple-digit temperatures, violent storms and power outages.
BURN examines the state of America’s electric power grid and the science needed to modernize it.
- Can 21st century electrical engineers use “smart grid” technology to prevent power outages?
- What are the challenges involved in linking new sources of energy, such as wind and solar, to the grid?
- Our stories will include a profile of an electric-power lineman who works on top of those poles that support the grid.
- Alex Chadwick will also explore the challenges when there’s no grid at all, following the research of the Army’s Rapid Equipping Force, which aims to incorporate new technologies to solve critical problems on the battlefield, like energy.