Most Active Stories
- Entomologists release wasps in Shongaloo and Minden to prey on invasive beetle killing ash trees
- Health Matters: Violence and violent tendencies
- Bossier City Farmer's Market owners: 'We want to keep this going, no interruptions'
- The Newport Folk Festival 2015 Live stream
- History Matters: Shreveport businessman Nathan Goldkind had a seat at a deadly card game
Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
Aired Thursday, September 12 at 6 p.m. Ornithologist Cliff Shackelford, from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, took your calls on "Bird Calls" from Red River Radio. He answered your questions about our avian world at 800-552-8502. If you have a photo or the recorded sound of a bird that you'd like Cliff to research and identify please send them to Bill Beckett, the host of Bird Calls, and he will send them to Cliff who will research them for the show. We'll also post your photos and recorded sounds on our website after the show.
Clifford Shackelford is a 7th generation Texan who began bird watching at the age of nine. He holds both a B.S. and an M.S. degree in biology from Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches and has over two decades of experience as a professional biologist. Since 1997 Cliff is has been the statewide Nongame Ornithologist for the
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. He is the author of over 60 publications on birds and birding and he authored the book Hummingbirds of Texas, published in 2005 by Texas A&M University Press. He has traveled extensively in the Western Hemisphere, collectively he has visited 7 different Latin American countries, and he and his wife Julie and their 2 young children live in East Texas.