Most Active Stories
- Project Belize is rich training ground for East Texas nursing students
- Entomologists release wasps in Shongaloo and Minden to prey on invasive beetle killing ash trees
- TLC's popular genealogy show fills out actress's family history using LSU Shreveport archives
- The Newport Folk Festival 2015 Live stream
- Health Matters: Violence and violent tendencies
Bird Calls with Cliff Shackelford
Aired Thursday, June 20 at 6 p.m. Ornithologist Cliff Shackelford, from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, took your calls on "Bird Calls" from Red River Radio. He answered your questions about our avian world. If you have a photo or the recorded sound of a bird you'd like Cliff to research for identity send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Listen to the show again and see photos emailed to us here
Clifford Shackelford is a 7th generation Texan who began bird watching at the age of nine. He holds both a B.S. and an M.S. degree in biology from Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches and has over two decades of experience as a professional biologist. Since 1997 Cliff is has been the statewide Nongame Ornithologist for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. He is the author of over 60 publications on birds and birding and he authored the book Hummingbirds of Texas, published in 2005 by Texas A&M University Press. He has traveled extensively in the Western Hemisphere, collectively he has visited 7 different Latin American countries, and he and his wife Julie and their 2 young children live in East Texas.