Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- KLSA on low power for tower maintenance
Cultural, Community, Information
To Be Free: The Nina Simone Story
Airs Friday, February 6, at 11 p.m. Nina Simone was as powerful and complex a person as the music she played. She called it “Black Classical Music,” and it resists all definitions. Its jazz, rhythm and blues, folk, and gospel. It’s a combination as Rich as the culture. Like any legend, Nina Simone became a symbol for People and movements through the years, but she was first and foremost a performer. She acted out the story of each song as if it happened to het just yesterday. This hour we’ll hear about the music and life of Nina Simone from colleagues and friends including Odetta, Camille Yarbrough, Guitarist Al Schackman, Patti Smith journalist David Nathan and more. Produced by JOYRIDE MEDIA, creators of acclaimed music documentaries featuring artists like Bob Dylan, Benny Goodman, Johnny Cash, and many others. Hosted by Simone, acclaimed vocalist and daughter of Nina Simone.