Most Active Stories
- The San Francisco Opera: Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto
- Concealed carry gun instructor: There are extremists on both sides of gun debate
- Live in Alexandria! Fred Child, Host of Performance Today
- Aspen Ideas Festival 2015: Sen. Lindsey Graham on values worth fighting for.
- Health Matters: Pregnancy and post-delivery issues.
Barbershop Harmony Week proclaimed in Shreveport and Bossier City
The mayors of Shreveport and Bossier City have proclaimed April 7 - 13 Barbershop Harmony Week. It coincides with the 75th anniversary of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Bossier City Mayor Lo Walker presented the proclamation to the River Cities Jubilee Barbershop Chorus on Sunday. The northwest Louisiana chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society was formed more than 60 years ago.
Member Phil Maxfield said in a previous interview that the chorus welcomes all men who love to sing.
"If you sing in the shower, you can sing on our risers. It's that simple," Maxfield said. "Karaoke folks are best. We can bring them in. They can hum a tune, do a little harmonizing. They're in."
The chorus rehearses every Monday at 7:30 p.m. at First Evangelical Lutheran Church in Shreveport.